I thought I would answer a few patient questions / concerns that we have heard over the last while.
- Why doesn’t the receptionist answer my Facebook Messages or Twitter direct messages? Social Media is intended to inform our patients of wait times in the walk-in clinic and, from time to time, other clinic news. In following the Health Information Protection Act, it is local clinic policy not to respond to any direct messages from patients and we do not monitor Facebook or Twitter for incoming messages from patients. If you have a medical emergency, DO NOT contact us via social media. Go directly to an Emergency Department at one of the hospitals or come in to our walk-in clinic.
- Why can’t I get through on the phone line evenings and weekends? Our switchboard is open 8 AM to 5 PM Monday to Friday and is CLOSED during the weekday evenings and on weekends. Lakeside operates as a walk-in clinic only weekday evenings and on weekends with only two staff working who are kept busy looking after registration and clinical duties for the walk-in physicians.
- I can never get through on the phone! Yep, we are busy. We have 5 receptionists answering calls and registering patients during the weekday but, whether it’s flu season, or it’s Monday after the long weekend, or it’s lunch hour etc., there are times patients may be on hold for 5 or 10 minutes or longer. But there are less busy times to call …. like mid morning or mid afternoon.
- Why do walk-in times change so quickly; why is the wait time not accurate? Walk-in times posted are “estimates” based on 15 minutes per registered patient. However:
- If emergencies arrive (patients with chest pains, lacerations, breathing difficulties, etc.), these patients are put to the top of the list and the once 60 minute wait becomes 2 hours … or longer if one or two patients in need of emergency care.
- If people register and leave the clinic, don’t return and don’t let the receptionist know they no longer want to see the Doctor, a 2 hour wait can turn into 60 minutes in a hurry.
- They say they’re open until 10 PM but they stop registering patients early. Why?
- Lakeside is a private clinic and sets opening hours according to policy set by the physicians who own Lakeside. We are not a 24/7 medical facility.
- We cease registering new walk-in patients based on the walk-in time. The doctors you see in the evening are they same doctors who come back to work at 8 AM the following morning to see their booked appointments. The doctors need their rest too!
- Are any Doctors accepting patients? No; not at this time. If one does, we will post this news on social media.
I hope this information has been helpful.